Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Male Parent's Day!

I refuse to conform to society's religious overtones on this day. Jesus called god "father." Catholics pray the "Our Father." They also refer to him as god the father and holy father. I refuse to allow society to force me to acknowledge religion.

I did have a lovely day with my male parent today. I BBQ'd some vegetarian burgers and then gave him a gift receipt for his lifetime membership to the ACLU. He was thrilled. I can't repeat what he said in this forum due to some harsh language (Dad's a lot like Theodore, who sent him a lovely card vowing to "teach me what the real world is.") But his eyes said "I love this fabulous gift."

After I left his house, I ventured downtown for a protest in support of same-sex couples right to adoption. Could you imagine how great this day would be for kids that have two dads? One day this will be a reality.

So Happy Male Parent's day to all of you with children. Especially mothers, we can't exclude them.

-Franklin Willington

No comments: